Today marks the 9 year anniversary of Alicea and I getting married. Wow – 9 years. We’ve known each other since September 1992, and have been dating/engaged/married for all of that except 3 years. 9 years married, 17 years in each other’s lives.
I wouldn’t trade it for anything. How lucky am I to wake up every morning next to my best friend in the whole world? My soul mate? My partner in trying to do the right things in raising our daughter?
9 years since saying “I do” on a perfect Spring night in Charlotte, NC. 9 years since one of the happiest days of my life – I’m still on cloud 9 (ha!) every time I even think about that day.
We were talking about it last night, and these past 9 years have gone by so fast, and at the same time we’ve done and been through so much.
- An awesome honeymoon in Charleston, SC
- Starting our post-college lives and careers in Charlotte, only to get moved 3000 miles away at the drop of a hat
- Cross-country drive (arriving in Seattle for our 1st anniversary)
- Finding the perfect church on a whim on day
- 10 day road trip to California and back on US-101
- Buying a house when we never thought we could (we got our mortgage rate locked 2 weeks before they bottomed out!)
- Finding out we were pregnant on on your birthday
- Flying to the top of a snow-capped mountain in a helicopter
- Having to go to the hospital a few weeks later for “some testing”
- Having Kaitlyn born 3 days later; 5 weeks in NICU for her and over a week in the hospital for you
- Getting to celebrate a “0th birthday party” because KC was home a month before her original due date
- Spending a week on Maui while Grandma watch Kaitlyn for us (we TOTALLY need to go back!)
- Raising a healthy and beautiful 4 year old daughter
- Getting to spend each day knowing we have each other to come home to, rely on, vent at, care for us when we’re ill, and make us laugh.
9 has always been my number – I was born 9 pounds 9 ounces on the 9th day of the 9th month. I don’t buy into superstition too much, but I’m betting that this is going to be a pretty awesome year none the less. 🙂
Here’s to you hon. Thanks for being there every day. Thanks for being my best friend. Thanks for being the love of my life. We’re still smiling!